Saturday, March 15, 2003

Keeping busy and resolving worry helps

Last night I had the usual sleeping problem, and I woke up very groggy, dizzy, and anxious. I dreaded the day, I didn't want it to be another one of those days, but I pushed through it. I went grocery shopping with my cousin, visited my aunt for a moment, then came back home, socialized with the neighbors a bit and cleaned the house, and then I realized that I felt good! Keeping busy really helped my mood and made me forget that I was dreading the day, and the anxiety and the dizziness were mostly gone. Oh, and don't let me forget, last night we were actually able to jump in the pool so I got a little exercise, yeah!

But all this brings me to another topic. Last Thursday, I was worrying to the point of anxiety and almost panic wondering how I'm going to see my psychiatrist and my therapist if I can't drive? Their schedules are booked solid weeks ahead so I can't switch my appointments to the evening when my cousin can drive me. This had me really worried and I obsessed about it all day. I gave myself further anxiety because I knew my cousin was already stressed at work and couldn't take enough time off of work to take me to my appointments during the day, I even dreaded asking her if she could do it or help me find a way through this mess.

So how did I resolve all of this? When my cousin got home, I let her settle in then I let her vent to me all her frustrations from work, let her get it all out. But this time when I listened, I stayed focused on the conversation and didn't let my mind drift and obsess on what I was really worried about, I gave her the same compassion and listening that I would want from others.

When she was finished, I told her that I was very worried about not being able to get to my doctor appointments, and she was real receptive, and she was able to come up with a novel suggestion. How about on the days that I have my appointments, I just stay at my Aunt's place which is only a couple of blocks away from the doctors, and either walk or ride my bicycle to the appointments? What a novel idea! I was so obsessed with the problem that I couldn't come up with a solution. Furthermore, normally I wouldn't have even brought up this subject with her, because my anxiety would have dreaded that the subject might cause more stress in the household, that I was increasing my dependency on my family and specifically my cousin.

But actually voicing what I was worried about, and being open and flexible to new ideas took the anxiety away!

This all seems so simple, but to my racing, obsessing, worried and anxious mind, something this simple is quite a breakthrough.

No comments: