Sunday, March 02, 2003

Guilty thoughts and boundaries...

I had to take a break from shoveling the dirt around the trees because I was starting to feel dizzy, disoriented, and have a few muscle contractions. So my dysfunctional thought patterns had me thinking I'm lazy, guilt for not helping, and shame that I can't help. I'm getting through these thoughts by re-affirming to myself that it's OK to be concerned for my health, and hey, what good would I be if I kept shoveling and fell flat on my face? And also telling myself that my cousin-in-law understands and isn't bothered by my needing to take a break and isn't offended about it. Also reaffirming that it's OK to have a functional boundary for my health concerns and that the thoughts of others shouldn't take precedence over my health.

No comments: