Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Dealing with change...

I'm currently on a trip to Las Vegas for a few days so I can stand in a good friend's wedding. So that means, for the first time in a few months, I'm not in my comfort zone, my own home, etc. and I find that very scary. I used to be able to go on trips with no problems, but this is the first multi-day trip I've taken since I moved here, and I didn't realize how difficult it would be going outside my comfort zone.

But that being said, I'm actually doing quite well, I'm using compassionate self-dialog to boost my self-confidence. You see, normally at home I have my own room I can "escape" in. I don't have that right now. But what do I really need to escape from? That's just the anxiety talking. So I tell myself things like, "It's not so bad. What are you really afraid of? The anxiety will pass. Think of this as a vacation, a chance to expand my comfort zone. The weather's actually really nice here."

Compassionate self dialog really helps to prevent the anxiety from becoming a panic attack. I'm glad I'm at the point right now where I can actually believe myself and trust myself when I use compassionate self dialog.

No comments: