Monday, March 31, 2003

Downplaying the postives and exaggerating the negatives...

One of the things I'm learning is just how much I downplay the positive things in my life and the successes that I have and how much I exaggerate the negative things in my life and my lack of success.

For example, this past weekend, I kept beating myself up because I had a panic attack after watching a scary movie. I kept obsessing for days that I was going schizophrenic because I got so scared after watching the movie.

I almost totally forgot that the weekend was actually a total success, I successfully took a trip out of town, was a best man in a great wedding and successfully delivered a short speech, I successfully upgraded my dad's computers, and I was able to go for very long walks without having to turn around and come back home! These are all great things! I'm going forward and moving on, and I pat myself on the back for this. So what if I had a panic attack? I've had them before, I'll have them again, and I actually dealt pretty good with this one considering how bad it was, I was able to cope with it using coping skills and the support of my father.

No comments: