Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Breaking down prejudices and showing support....

I'm starting to break down some of my prejudices and show some support. What brought up this issue is this: My brother is running his own business, it's a network-marketing internet business selling all kinds of products. He started doing this like a year ago or so, and has been trying to get me and the rest of the family to show our support by joining in and buying from him. Up till this point I never have, because I'm prejudiced against network marketing.

I finally realized a couple of things. First of all, I'm letting my prejudices get in the way of supporting my brother in something that he is being successful and really enjoys doing, and secondly, I'm getting all kinds of support from my family, but I'm not necessarily reciprocating that support.

So, I decided to lay my prejudices aside today, and called my brother today and told him I'd like to sign up and support him in his endeavor.

This is really a big turning point for me, I can tell you it wasn't done on a whim, it actually required some soul-searching. My conscious knows the right thing to do is to show my support for my brother, and I am going to follow the voice of my conscious and my heart and act upon it, rather than acting upon my prejudice regarding network marketing as a whole and allowing that to apply to my beloved brother.

I feel much better now just being able to say I've broken through a wall of prejudice. My family has been growing closer since I've begun my recovery, and I think this is one more block of wood on the fire so to speak.

No comments: