Thursday, April 17, 2003

Working through past issues...

I'm currently working through some issues from my recent past, some things that happened in the past year or so that still cause me a lot of emotional distress. I had some nightmares last night that brought up these issues, and it's like I'm re-living those experiences. Almost like post-traumatic-stress.

I'm dealing with them by writing out my feelings in my journal, how I reacted to them now and how I still react to those issues today. I'm following that up by working through my Facing Codependence workbook. I'm at the point in the workbook where I start to point out my extreme, all-or-nothing thinking or reacting to situations. Like when I am in a relationship with a woman, and she criticizes me on something, I react as if the relationship is now over and done with and I'm a complete failure. I need to learn how to react to things in a moderate, compromising way, and to not always assume the worst.

No comments: