Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Hope

Poem by Ramona S. posted at the Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety forum
This poem rings so true for me, and I thank Ramona for posting it in the forum in response to a post that I was losing hope for my recovery.
Hope
I have lived many, many years in this valley.
This dark, sad and sometimes scary valley.
Clouds hang over this valley.
Dark sometimes ominous clouds.
At times I would look up to the mountains
that surrounded this valley.
I would wish and hope to see one day what was
on the other side.
There must be something better, someplace brighter
on the other side.
But living in this valley has made me very, very weak
and very, very tired.
I have even grown tired of looking up to the mountains.

But one day a ray of light caught my eye
on the top of one mountain.
I looked up and someone appeared.
and then another and another.
They extended their hands toward me.
They said that they themselves had climbed out
of that same dark valley
and they had come to help me out as well.
They smiled. Their faces bright.
They looked like angels
and a bright sun shone behind them.
I decide I have to try!

I take a step up and falter
I take another step. I fall and cry.
But they smile and let me know it's all right.
They had done the same and yet still had made it.
I take another step, then another.
I'm climbing! I feel afraid and I slip.
I fall again.
I look back. It looks safer down there in that dark valley.
But then I look up and I know that there is where I want to be.
Where I need to be and where I was meant to be.
I am able to focus now. One step at a time.
My confidence growing.
I am beginning to like this journey.
Beginning to see my destiny and the purpose of this journey.
After each step and each fall I feel stronger and wiser.
I know now that I can make it.
That I will make it.
I look up and I thank those encouraging compassionate people.
I look higher and thank the Lord for sending those people
and I thank Him for the hope, the strength and the wisdom that moves me onward and higher.
-Ramona S.

No comments: