Thursday, June 12, 2003

Worried about disability

Well, I'm having a lot of anxiety centered around my application for disability through the state. I'm applying for Medi-Cal, which is California's version of Medicaid, and also disability through Social Security (SSI). My doctors have all agreed that they believe I am disabled and will be for quite some time, and have agreed to sign any papers necessary... except there are no papers for them to sign. Basically, I have to sit here and wait for a few months while the state collects my medical records and they make a decision whether my disorder prevents me from working.

I've heard stories of people who are even more worse off than I am, whose personal doctors have told them they cannot work, and yet the state disagreed and denied them disability, and in some cases these people have re-applied multiple times and still got denied.

So I'm worried... it'll be a long, long time before I can work even part-time. My family is quickly running out of retirement funds that were cashed in to help me out, so I really need the disability benefits if I'm not going to end up without any medical care or medicine or treatment or anything, let alone the brain scans that I'm soon going to need.

I hate the idea that the state won't just take the doctor's word for it.

Has anyone else had experience with this? If you have, shoot me an email and tell me about your experiences with trying to get disability benefits, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: