Monday, June 09, 2003

Side Effects

Well, I've been on the Wellbutrin for 3 days now, and I've got severe insomnia, and I'm having these strange sensations, you know, like when you stick a 9 volt battery to your tongue to see if it's good or not, it feels like someone is randomly sticking a nine volt battery to random muscles in my body, arms, and legs. And sometimes when I turn my head my hearing goes in and out. Really weird, and I'm not even at a normal dosage yet. And this drug is supposed to be the same as Zyban the anti-smoking pill, but the insomnia is making me smoke like a fiend.

I'll tell the RN tomorrow when I go to the clinic about the side effects. I'm also worried because the plan according to my psychiatrist was to start me on the Wellbutrin for two weeks and then add an MAOI. But, after reading the package insert for Wellbutrin, it specifically says in a few places that you cannot take this medicine while also taking an MAOI. But he's out of town, so I'll be sure to bring this up with him before I actually start the MAOI.

In the meantime, I'm worried that these electrical shock sensations I'm experiencing in random parts of my body are minor seizures, which is a reported side effect of the medicine, and I'm afraid if we increase the dosage to the normal levels or above, I may get actual seizures. Great, just what I need!

So any way, I haven't been able to sleep for more than two hours a day, and that time is filled with nightmares. Ugh.

No comments: