Thursday, January 22, 2004

What got me so upset...

Well, as you can see from my previous post I was pretty darn upset. The mess people have to go through regarding insurance and what not is right up there with telemarketers for me. Basically, I went to the new doctor yesterday, the one that's approved enough to be able to give me the referral for the MRI. Well, I sat in the crowded lobby for two hours, having major panic attacks the whole time waiting for the doctor. Then they charge me 95 dollars because I have insurance, for a two-minute meeting with the doctor. Basically he told me that with the type of insurance I have, they have to pull teeth just to get a simple urinalysis done, getting approved for an MRI despite how much evidence they come up with is somewhere between slim and none, and if I really want to get a scan my best option is to pick a clinic that does the scan I want and just pay out of pocket, avoid all the hassle, and get the care I want, and maybe work out a payment plan.

Well, that's just what I've been preaching to people for the past five years, if you want medical care, pay for it yourself as a cash patient, you'll have much more freedom, the doctor's will give you a discount, and your quality of life will improve dramatically when you get rid of the headaches of insurance.

So, I'm going to look into ways of getting these tests done on my own, I've got a few clinics I can call which I think will be willing to work out a payment plan with me.

No comments: