Tuesday, January 06, 2004

ADHD

I met with my therapist today and we went over the results from the first "check the box" test I did for ADHD, and I scored moderate to severe in most of the categories. He mentioned that he thinks it's possible that meds for ADHD might work better than the benzos I'm on, but he's not a doctor so he can't say for sure, I'll have to talk to my psychiatrist about it when I see him next week.

Meanwhile, my uncle is in the hospital after being hit by a car, we're all anxiously waiting to hear how he's doing, he lives on the other side of the country and has other health complications, we all wish we could be there to help, I hope he pulls through just fine, I really enjoy all the times I've gotten to spend with him, he's really smart and we can talk for a long time about a lot of interesting things.

When I got the call that he was in the hospital last night I was just settling in for the night, for a moment I was a little frustrated that I had to get back up and dressed, but then I became very alert and my mind cleared. That's something I've noticed about my disorder, and some others I have spoken to say they've noticed the same thing happen to them... that is, my anxiety is high pretty much all the time, and little things make it worse, but when I'm in a life or death situation or something similar, suddenly the anxiety and panic are gone, my mind clears, I become more observant, and I react calmly and confidently. Pretty much the opposite of "normal" people.

No comments: