Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Man I want to go to sleep

Well, the good news is things aren't too bad on the emotional front, no major panic attacks or depression or anything in the past day, or more accurately not any extreme ones. I have my insomnia to thank for that, having little to no sleep leaves me like a zombie, which in a way is a blessing if you ask me. Insomnia and other sleep problems have been troubling me for quite a while, especially since I started taking Wellbutrin, but the past two days have been really bad as far as not getting any sleep goes... so it's a blessing in disguise, I'll take the zombie/tired/frustrated feelings of insomnia over the extreme anxiety and depression any day.

Also met with my therapist again today. Nothing earth shattering, having not gotten any sleep and feeling like a zombie, I wasn't able to "let out" the emotional stress that I had planned to do for this session. So, instead, I made a diagram of how my disorders interact to cause my various problems, and we talked about that for a while. Oh, curse my bloody memory, I almost forgot a good suggestion he had made... on the chart I listed all my sleep disorders (like grinding teeth, kicking leg syndrome, nightmares, insomnia, etc) and he noticed that, and then I mentioned that a little over a year ago I had a sleep study done on me at the hospital, thinking at the time I might have what they call sleep apnia (spelling?), which is a condition where you stop breathing for short periods of time while sleeping, and this can cause similar symptoms as those that I experience, like high anxiety and depression and such. Anyway... oh what the heck, I'll tell the whole story... for the study they had me spend the night in the hospital in a private bedroom. They attached electrical sensors or probes of some kinds to all parts of my body except for my face and my stomach and my feet. In order to keep these probes in place while I slept, the nurse assistant wrapped me up in so much medical tape that I looked exactly like a mummy, only my bare feet, stomach and face were exposed, the rest was layers of medical tape. Anyway, by the next morning, I had wrestled in my sleep so much that like all but one sensor had been yanked off of me, despite the tape.

The guys who monitor people in the bedrooms stay up all night and watch the read outs from the sensors. They're not doctors, so they can't diagnose, but he could tell me that I didn't stop breathing so I don't have sleep apnea, but he said I snored so loud he could hear me all the way down the hall with the door closed hehehehe, and obviously I kick a lot so there's some kind of sleep disorder going on. I already knew at that time that I grind my teeth when I sleep (I've lost two molars because of this), so I have to wear a teeth guard at night to keep from losing any more teeth. But anyway, the results were sent to the doctor, and the doctors office called me back to say that no, I don't have sleep apnia, but there were some interesting results and the doctor really wanted to talk to me about it. But I was never able to go back and talk with him about it, because I had just lost my job and all my medical benefits and couldn't afford another visit to a doctor.

So anyway, my therapist today gave me a release of information form, and his idea is that I can get the medical records from the doctor who evaluated my sleep test and have them forwarded to my current psychiatrist and maybe he can shed some light on things.

Now, if only I can remember that doctor's name so I can get those records....
Click here to comment on this post:

No comments: