Friday, April 23, 2004

Musical therapy... maybe it will work?

Today was an average day anxiety and mood wise, then my therapist called me in the late afternoon to check up on me and see if I was doing O.K. alone. I told him I usually get more depressed during the afternoon, and he told me that at those times I should be taking a walk. So, late this afternoon I walked around through the shopping center down the corner, and started looking in the window of the music store there. I passed by it a couple times, then I remembered that they offer vocal lessons. I always felt like a horrible singer, and I felt that if I could develop some singing talent, that could improve my self esteem and possibly help with my speaking voice as well, to speak with more confidence.

A couple hours later I went down to the guitar store and found the only acoustic bass guitar they had... and my fingers and ears took a liking to it right away. So I haggled with the salesman and got a good price and a lead on a very good bass guitar instructor. I used to play the bass really well, but I'm like seven years out of practice. My thinking is that if I practice my bass and my voice, I'll finally be able to perform at the open mic nights I attend at the book store.

I'm also thinking about adding karate lessons as well, I've found a place that only charges six dollars a session.

So, with all of the above, I'll get physical and social therapy. At least that's my line of thought, since I've been through years of talk therapy and read so many books on it, it's fairly well agreed that talk therapy won't do me much more good, except for the few times where I'm in a really tough jam and need someone objective to talk to.

Who knows, maybe this is all just an expression of mania, but it feels good to have a plan. Only time will tell if I can stick with it and it works.

No comments: