Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Trouble concentrating

I've noticed over the past few weeks I've had a real hard time concentrating on anything, due to my high anxiety levels. It's like I'm too scared, or in other words, my mind is overcome by the fear response to have much ability left to concentrate on other things. It makes it really tough to do things like pay bills or plan dinner.

I've been starting to let myself put less effort in trying to control my anxiety and depression. Much of anxiety centers around the concept of control, so I'm backing off on using coping skills, and just let the anxiety and depression happen, and basically just ride them like a wave.

My therapist noted today that I am very left-brained, while at the same time I do have a lot of creativity. He really wishes I would do some artwork. When I was younger I was a pretty good artist with a pencil, but for some odd reason after puberty I lost the ability to draw and now I have trouble drawing even stick figures. My handwriting is as bad as a nutty professor too.

Hmmmm.... left brain versus right brain. Makes me think. Maybe I should try to develop my ability to write and draw with my left hand (I'm right-handed), which would be controlled by my right brain. Hmm. I'm also thinking that since I'm so analytical (that's an understatement), maybe I could come up with some way of combining art with a chart diagramming my thought patterns. Something to ponder. But, I really feel that I am more right-brained than left-brained by nature, when you really get down to it. Simply being over-analytic doesn't necessarily mean I'm left brained. It's one of those theories or concepts that broadly generalizes personalities and approaches to solving problems, but there is a lot of disagreement on the validity of having a left brain versus right brain model.

No comments: