Monday, August 11, 2003

Starting Medication #17... and surprise! It's not an MAOI!

Well, just got back from seeing my psychiatrist, and he decided to hold off on going with the MAOI and instead start me on a newer medicine called Gabitril. It works on a different neurotransmitter chemicals than the medicines I've used in the past, this one being GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid), the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. It is indicated for use by the FDA for partial seizures but doctors have noticed that it works as a mood stabilizer and helps with anxiety as well, so that's why they prescribe it even though it's not approved by the FDA for anxiety (lots of other drugs are used like this by doctors, Neurontin would be another example).

The only side effects I should have to worry about are some dizziness and drowsiness, which shouldn't be a problem because I only take one pill at bedtime. But we'll see.

He's also having me start taking this "Green Drink" stuff from Tony Robbin's website, to help alkalize my body and de-toxify it some from all the medicines I've been taking, so I just ordered that. It's supposed to taste real nasty but heck I don't care if it's going to help, but it sure is expensive, after shipping and tax it's almost 70 bucks a month.

No comments: