Friday, September 03, 2004

Better eat and drink properly and regularly

Well, I learned the hard way how important it is to eat and drink properly and consistently, especially while on meds like lithium. I ran into a problem were the Lamictal I'm on was causing me to not want to eat or drink, and after a couple of weeks of hardly eating or drinking at all, my lithium levels became toxic for a while and my electrolytes got off balance and I became VERY sick. I really thought I was going to die it hurt so bad. I ended up spending 3 days at the hospital hooked up to an IV to bring my electrolytes back into balance and to nurse me back to where I could start to eat and drink again. I'm still recovering from it, I still have the shakes, a little dizzy, and a very mild pain in my abdomen, but over the next week I should be back to normal and be able to go back on the lithium.

So, my advice to others in a similar situation: even if you feel you can't eat or drink, force it down. Otherwise call your doctor and tell them the meds are causing you to not be able to eat or drink, and they can adjust the meds before you get sick enough to go to the hospital like I did.

Lesson learned!

But, on a positive note, this mishap seemed to improve my attitude and I feel a little more motivation to once again put effort into getting on with life as best I can, both with the small things like helping out around the house more and the bigger things like going back to school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! Im glad your o.k.......yeah leasson learned alright!
hang in there david......you're gonna be OOOOOOO kayyyyyy!
xo

Anonymous said...

There are couple of resources that I would like to point you to:

a)Homeopathy: Medicines do not have any side-affects, totally safe and can provide lasting relief.
b)Ayurveda: Start with Panchakarma therapy and then be regular with their medicines.
c)Yoga and meditation helps to a max extent along with Ayurveda
Try them if you can and need a longer permanant cure. Allopathy can only help to a certain extent, not beyond...you need to look at alternate therapies seriously if you need a cure.